Wednesday, July 10, 2013

New, New York New York ...

Really ...
 New York it's not so new to my beautiful daughter Ashley...


Three years ago, 
My country bumpkin easily stepped into the big city life without missing a beat. 


I kissed her goodbye on the corner of E23rd and 3rd
and barked off my life instructions
...always be aware of you surroundings...
...remember the earlobe is weak & painful...
....keep a $10.00 bill hidden in your wallet 
...Mommy's only a train ride away...
...and ...please don't talk to strangers...

I kissed her again and fought back the tears
As I watched her walk away
she walked up to the first stranger she could find 
and said 
"Hi Stranger!" 
Then turned a smiled back at me 

Yes I cried...
I love that kid...



Saturday she moves back to NYC 
...but not just for a semester 
she's moving...

As her Mom, I'm heartbroken 
yet so proud... 



Secretly...I'm also thrilled,
...After all who wouldn't want to just skip into the city 
just because my baby girl needs a little Mama time!



4 comments:

  1. Lisa...I just sat and cried...when my son Joseph graduated in 1994 from Hofstra...he to moved into Manhattan..Yorkville!!!I felt as though I lost him and that city would eat him alive....As he gained his independence..I did have to cut the apron strings while he was at college...everything I taught him was now visible...good head on his shoulders,,he was going to be OK! It hurts to push them from the nest..we Moms...But that was so long ago,,now a married man with a family..I cut the strings to the apron...But the heart strings are still knotted to my heart...Ashley will do just fine..Apple didn't fall far from the tree..


    Dyan Salemi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dyan.... its not going to be easy but she needs fly.......

      Delete
  2. Oh, Lisa. You've done so well with the kids. Her wings have grown strong. I'm sure she will do very well in NYC and always know how to come home if she needs it. Congratulations, Ashley! And a hug to you and Joe. One baby not so much of a baby anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Dawn ... she's doing well probably not missing us and much as we miss her! :)

    ReplyDelete